Electrician jobs in Australia | Main Region
Electrician jobs in Australia
What does an Electrician do?
What skills does an Electrician need to have?
Electrician job responsibilities
- Maintain and repair the electrical systems of underground equipment
- Plan the layout of any electrical wiring using blueprints and adhering to job specifics
- Install and maintain wiring and circuits, ensuring that power is working in the mines at all times
- Maintain and troubleshoot underground equipment and mining vehicles such as electric drive trucks, jumbos, drill rigs, compressors and pumps
- Monitor power supply quality and ensure that power is running from generators to the plant and on-site mining accommodation
- Instrumentation automation and process control
- Find electrical faults in a timely fashion when mining equipment or electrical systems breaks down
- Perform high voltage switching, electrical fitting and electronics
- Adhere to Work, Health and Safety regulations
- Ensure emergency electrical systems such as fire alarms are checked and functional
- Comply with company policies around safety gear and equipment, and conduct thorough risk assessments before commencing a job
Skills and experience employers are looking for
- A great attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
What type of employers hire an Electrician?
- Electrical trade certificate
- Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician
- A current Electrical Workers Licence with eligibility to work in the State of your employment
- Manual C class driver’s license
- HV switching ticket
- Working at Heights
- Construction White Card
How much does an Electrician earn?
How to become an Electrician in Australia
- Completion of an Electrical trade certificate or Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician.
- Hands on experience is crucial. Whether it is through an apprenticeship or other form of work experience, take everything in and be willing to learn at every opportunity.
- Work on your core and technical skills. Employers are looking for excellent problem solving and a great attention to detail in electrical installation, maintenance and repairs.
- Obtaining licenses/tickets – HV switching ticket, Working at Heights, White Card etc.
- Proficiency using diagnostic tools will be advantageous.