Surveyor jobs in Australia | Main Region
Surveyor jobs in Australia
What does a Surveyor do?
What skills does a Surveyor need to have?
Surveyor job responsibilities
- Carry out mining survey requirements and risk assessments on potential mining sites
- Survey drill holes, high walls, stopes and other completed work
- Measure underground excavations and the volume of material to be moved
- Conduct valuations of mineral deposits
- Ensure the mine is compliant and meets statutory mine survey requirements
- Manage and update mine, accident and statutory plans
- Deliver accurate 3D geographical and mine data to management and the mine production team
- Produce mine site maps using a Geographic Information System
- Calibrate machine guidance systems
- Operate surveying equipment including laser scanner, GPS equipment, drones and total stations
- Adhere to Work Health and Safety guidelines as regulated by states and territories
- Prepare and submit data and tonnage reports
Skills and experience employers are looking for
- Great attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- High level of competency using Surveying equipment
- Produce site maps using GIS
- Build 3D models using CAD software
What type of employers hire a Surveyor?
- Registration to work as a Surveyor
- Bachelor’s degree on Advance Diploma in Surveying
- Manual C class driver’s license
- Experience with surveying equipment such as GPS and drones
How much does a Surveyor earn?
How to become a Surveyor in Australia
- Bachelor’s degree or Advance Diploma in Surveying.
- Registration to work as a Surveyor in respective state or territory.
- A graduate program is a fantastic way to develop the requisite skills.
- Gain experience with surveying equipment such as laser scanners, Trimble GPS, and total stations.
- Focus on your problem-solving skills and an attention to detail. Employers view these core skills favourably.
- As part of your career progression, consider a position as an assistant Surveyor.
- Further enhance your skills by becoming proficient in using mapping tools, building 3D models, and emerging computer software.