Working with Hays
Working with Hays as a temp or contractor
Here’s why you should be proud to be a temporary worker or contractor with Hays:
- We are the leading specialist recruiter with over 40 offices in Australia & New Zealand and global offices across 34 countries
- We have the widest choice of temporary jobs available across all our specialist areas including Trades & Labour, Office Support, Contact Centres, Accountancy & Finance and IT to name a few
- As a temporary worker with Hays, you will be paid on a weekly basis. Our dedicated payroll team process your online timesheets and run two pay cycles per week to ensure you get paid as soon as possible.
Before you start
Once you secure a temporary assignment or contract role, you will receive the following information:
- Details on how to complete and return to Hays your signed Terms of Engagement, if you haven’t already done so
- Letter of job confirmation outlining your hourly rate, the award you are on (where relevant) and your start date and time
- Consultant's name and contact details
- Background Checks will be conducted where relevant
- Certain industries and professions require you to have a Working With Children Check. Please read our policy here which outlines your responsibilities, should you be working around children and young people.
- For PAYG employees, you will be required to submit your tax, bank and superannuation details through Hays Online and these must be completed preferably before you start work. Otherwise you may be taxed at the top rate. For Pty Ltd Contractors, you will be required to re-confirm your ABN, GST registration (if applicable) and company bank details. Expect to receive an email with details on how to access the portal for the first time.
Once we have found you an assignment, and you have accepted it, please keep in touch with us, particularly on the day you start so that we can ensure all goes smoothly. Thereafter, we will check in with you on a regular basis to ensure everything is going well.
You will be expected to submit your timesheets weekly according to instructions provided to you. Either via Hays Online or sometimes as a paper timesheet, or our 3SS platform. You will be paid on a weekly basis by Hays. Further payroll information can be found here.
Please inform us of any change in duties, sick days, holiday leave or if your temp assignment or contract is coming to an end. As your employer, we are here to support you so please keep in touch with us regularly whilst on assignment and keep us informed of how you are going.
Once on an assignment, you are in the best position to market yourself within that organisation. Don't be afraid to look for further opportunities – why not ask if there are any other areas or departments where your skills might be needed? If you can see opportunities but don't feel comfortable investigating them yourself, let your consultant know and they will make enquiries.
Hays is committed to your long-term career, so if you are nearing the end of an assignment and would help like help to find your next role, please send through your updated resume in advance so we can inform you of available opportunities before you finish.
Looking for your next assignment?
Please keep your consultant informed of your ongoing availability on a weekly basis and email us if you find a job of interest on the Hays website. We assume you are available until you tell us otherwise. Please inform us if your availability changes for any reason.
We are also keen to know when you develop new skills. We can then be sure to represent you according to your true potential.
As we are committed to helping you progress your career long-term, if you're looking to brush up on your digital skills, ask your Hays consultant about the free online Microsoft Office training we offer our temporary workers or contractors.